Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Mediocre Devotional

Richard Sherman.  Does that name ring a bell?  If you’ve been anywhere near a television covering football this week, then it likely does.  He’s the cornerback for Seattle that had the loud and abrasive interview after the game this past Sunday.  As a quick aside, if you said that Richard Sherman was the guy that co-wrote world-famous songs with his brother you’d also be right.  But I’m not talking today about the guy that helped write songs like “It’s a Small World”, “Bare Necessities” from the Jungle Book movie, or “Chim Chim Cher-ee” for Mary Poppins (for which he won an Oscar).  Yes, that WAS Richard Sherman, but today I want to talk about the one that plays football.

Actually, I don’t really.  What I want to talk about today is specifically the reaction to the Richard Sherman that plays football.  At my house we watched The Interview right after the game.  I said, “I bet the league has a talk with him about representing The Shield” (as they call it), and I read a ton of responses worse than that on social media – up to and including kicking him out of football.  As another quick aside, I have no intention in this devotional of condoning his actions.  But I want to just point out a few quick somethings…then challenge us a Christians to ask ourselves honest questions.  And that being said, let’s get started down this twisty road.  First of all, we’re all upset at Richard Sherman and wanting Peyton Manning to throw 6,000 yards against him specifically in a few weeks.  Why?  Because he called himself the best corner and called another guy mediocre.  Jury, your verdict please.  “GUILTY!”  Really, jury?  But all you know of him is a 25-second rant on television.  “We said he was guilty!”  But he was raised in Compton, California and graduated high school with Straight A’s (including Advanced Placement classes).  “still Guilty!”  But he’s a Stanford graduate.  “So what?! Guilty!”  But he has a charity that helps raise money so that under-privileged kids can have school supplies and clothing.  And he volunteered to help the Special Olympics all the way back in high school.  And when charities came to Stanford and asked for volunteers, his teammates remember him as always the first guy to raise his hand to help.  “We said he was guilty!”  But is that a little wavering I hear in your voice?

As Christians, we’re called to forgive.  That includes everyone.  Not just church friends.  Not just ourselves.  But everyone…regardless of what they’ve done.  I used to be the guy that pounded my chest and proudly announced to anyone that could hear me when talking about the electric chair that “I’d be the guy that pulled the switch” with no reservations.  Now, I’m not so sure.  I used to be the guy that would hear stories of death row conversions and think “yeah, of course they believe in Jesus NOW!  They’re about to meet him!”  But I don’t say things like that anymore.  I mean, you hear some stories, and you think “how could God ever forgive that guy?”  Like this one story I read…it’s something that happened long before I was born.  This guy killed some other dude.  Then he buried the body in a hidden grave.  He thought he’d gotten away with it, until he found out that folks around him knew about somehow.  SO…he ran. Ran and hid and never did a single day in jail for it.  In fact, while on the run for that murder…he was still getting into fights.  But then he had himself his own little “death row conversion” of sorts.  Well, forgive me.  I’m paraphrasing, and I’m not telling it exactly right.  If you want the full story exactly as it happened, it’s Exodus 2:11-22.  You know, when Moses killed the taskmaster, then buried his body in the sand.  Then started telling the two Hebrews to quit fighting, and they asked him, “or what, you’ll kill us, too?”  So then he fled, and then got into a fight at a well protecting the daughters of the priest of Midian.  And then?  Oh, only God Himself came to Moses in the burning bush.  And God Himself told Moses what His plans were to use Moses to deliver Israel from slavery.

And what is Moses?  He’s a hero.  We tell our kids about how great a man Moses was!  Murderer.  We tell our kids how great God was to Moses.  Murderer.  We tell our kids about Moses going up the mountain to receive the Ten Commandments. Murderer.  We tell our kids that only one man, Moses, saw God on Mount Sinai and that his face glowed with radiance after looking directly upon God’s glory.  Murderer.  I’m sorry, I don’t mean to keep throwing that one mistake out there.  But why not?  We do it for simple things like guys playing football.  Richard Sherman didn’t curse.  He didn’t make any rude gestures.  He didn’t even pull a Mike Tyson from 2000 and proclaim “I want your heart! I want to eat your children!”  He just called another guy mediocre…albeit in an extremely inappropriate setting and a completely unprofessional manner.  And I suppose that’s where we’ve come as a society.  As a collection of Christians, too, I suppose.  Because a great deal of the vengeful “I hope for bad things on him” reactions were from good, Christian people.  All of those people that help others, and give to their churches, and pray for sick friends and family, and volunteer for local charity work wanted Instant Karma to get Richard Sherman. (and we all shine on…sorry, I couldn’t help it)  Meanwhile, all the other good things he may have done before then don’t seem to matter.  We don’t want forgiveness for something brash and insensitive.  We want Peyton Manning to light him up.  We want Demaryus Thomas or Eric Decker to knock him out in a couple of weeks.

Did anybody pray for him?  Did anybody pray that he let go of that anger?  Did anybody care that, off the field, he’s a prime example of giving back?  Did anybody act like a Christian about it all?  Or did we all pull out the pitchforks and torches and go chasing him down the street like in the old monster movies.  That’s what I did.  I said that the league would likely talk to him, and, while already rooting for Peyton, I hoped that much harder that Denver wins the game (by 300 points) in a couple of weeks.  Then as the next few days came and went, I heard the rest of Richard Sherman’s story.  Then I reflected on some of the stupid…and I mean absolutely, unequivocally STUPID things that I’ve said in my late teens and early twenties.  Well, late twenties, and all through my thirties. Well, and I guess my forties, now that I’m forty.  And I reflected on how I hope that those are not the things that I’m judged on today.  When we hear the name “Moses”, our immediate word association is not “Murderer”.  When I hear electric chair, I no longer say “I want to pull the switch”.  When I hear of stories like Jeffery Dahmer, I don’t think that sarcastic “yeah, I bet he did” type thoughts anymore.  Like the prodigal son coming home, the Father rejoiced.  When we hear of death row conversions, do we rejoice?  Are we the “other brother” when think of seeing murderers in Heaven?  That’s where the rubber meets the road on Christian forgiveness.

We want justice!  We want fairness!  But only for other people.  OUR sins aren’t as bad as those other people’s sins.  But through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, God no longer chooses to remember our sins…or theirs.  He doesn’t look at Moses and think “murderer”.  He sees the man to lead Israel to freedom.  He doesn’t see Saul as the man that killed Christians.  He sees Paul, the man that will sow the seeds for a thousand churches through a handful of epistles.  God doesn’t see us as the one mistake that we won’t let go of, so why is it that that’s how we choose to see others?  Forgiveness is forgiveness.  Jonah sat on a hill beside Nineveh and wished he had died instead of seeing Nineveh forgiven.  The lessons of Jonah and of the prodigal son aren’t just for the Ninevites and the son that left home.  We always spin them that way…repentance, forgiveness, and “come back home” lessons all seem to stem from those.  But I believe that the real lessons are from Jonah and the older brother.  Forgiveness.  Letting go.  Don’t be bitter that they didn’t get their comeuppance.  Rejoice that they found forgiveness from God.  And remember…always remember…and I mean that if you don’t ever listen to another whisper, listen for the whisper that tells you that Jesus plainly told us in Matthew 6:15, that if you don’t forgive others, the Father will not forgive you.  Others.  God didn’t specify which others…just forgive others.

~Dwayne
http://listenforthewhisper.blogspot.com

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment