Thursday, June 19, 2014

Beatles 1, In My Life

This is the first in a however-many-part devotional series all based around the Fab Four.  Oh yeah, who doesn’t love a good Beatles devotional or fifteen?  Like the “We Were Soldiers” eight part series, the next (15 at this point) few devotionals will all have the Beatles as their central illustrative point.  Introductions out of the way, let’s jump right into the first one, shall we?

 The Beatles: John, Paul, George and Ringo.  Always in that order for some reason.  Along the same lines as Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John, in the Beatles, John always gets to go first and Ringo is always bringing up rear.  But here I am one sentence into the devotional, and I’m already getting sidetracked.  Anyway, Everyone knows the Beatles.  Everyone knows their accomplishments.  Everyone knows their music.  Most everyone knows their story…the rise of the British invasion, the eventual split, and all the musical genius that happened in the middle.  After the breakup of the band in 1970, John was murdered ten years later outside his apartment.  Fast forward another 21 years and George Harrison succumbs to lung cancer leaving only two Beatles.  Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr (Richard Starkey his real name) are the last two surviving Beatles.  I call them the bookends myself, since I consider Paul the best and Ringo the least in my personal Beatles rankings…with Paul only barely edging out George.  Yeah, I know…most people put John first or second, but this is my devotional, and I put him third.

So here we are in the 2014.  It’s been 50 years since the Beatles first stormed the Ed Sullivan show.  It’s been 44 years since the band broke up.  It’s been 34 years since John Lennon was murdered.  It’s even been 13 years since George Harrison died.  Yet here we are in 2014, and all people want to talk about with Paul and Ringo are the Beatles.  “Tell us stories about the band.”  “What was it like working with John?”  “How much tension was there around Yoko?” (that’s another devotional down the line)  But I heard a recent radio interview with Paul McCartney where he was asked about the song he most wanted to be remember for.  Paul gave a very interesting answer, and his answer to the question is what prompted this entire series.  His answer?  “Maybe I’m Amazed”

Really, Paul?  “Maybe I’m Amazed” is the song you most want to be remembered for?  That’s not even a Beatles song for crying out loud!  What about “Blackbird” or “Yesterday” or “Let it Be” or “Hey Jude” or even “Helter Skelter”?!  Nope.  He answered none of those.  Now he HAS answered which is his favorite Beatles song when asked specifically pick a song the Beatles did (“Here, There and Everywhere”), but when left open-ended to pick the song he wrote that he wanted to be remembered for, he picked something he did after the Beatles?

And why do I harp on that?  Because sometimes you don’t want to be remembered for what you did a long time ago (more on THAT in a later devotional).  Sometimes you want to be known for what you are now.  Not all that I am is encapsulated solely in what I used to be.  I’m growing as a person – we all are.  We’re different people than we were all those years ago (we hope).  As Christians, we’re certainly striving to be better than we were years ago, and at least for me when I think about how I want people to remember me I’m certainly not picking something that happened when I was in my 20’s!  Not only would I prefer to be remembered for something that I’m doing now instead of something I did in my 20’s, there’s a TON of things I did in my 20’s I hope nobody ever finds out about!  I certainly don’t want to be remembered for them!  I’m sure there ARE some people who will remember me for those things.  I think I’ve mentioned before that my mouth and my temper earned me the nickname “Tourette’s” back in my college days.  I don’t want to be remembered for that – but I bet the guy that gave me the nickname probably associates me with that almost immediately. 

But even the good stuff like the flipcharts aren’t what I want to be the high-water mark in my faith.  My wife and I used to put together flipcharts for the classes to use back in my 20’s.  But as long as those have lasted, I like to think that my cheeky little devotionals are something I’d rather be remembered for than the flipcharts.  But given the choice of being remembered for “Tourette’s” or flipcharts, I’ll take the flipcharts and move on.  “Tourette’s” opens the door to remembering too much anger, too little self-control, too little love for others, and too much self-aggrandizing.  “Hey, everybody, look at me!  Aren’t I funny the way I insult people?  Can’t I tell the funniest jokes (just don’t repeat them at church! Hyuck! Hyuck!) and aren’t I just the greatest little guy on the planet?!”  Yeah, that was me.  So if it’s all the same to you, I’ll agree with Paul that maybe what I want to be remembered for is something I did a little later on than what most people probably remember me for.  Because there are a LOT of people that I have known for the first half of my life that would be shocked to know that I’m sitting here now writing devotionals like these.  Because, yeah…I literally ran my sweaty armpit down someone’s leg once – just for the shock of having done it.  Yeah, we still go to church together – but no I ain’t mentioning names! HA!

So let’s take this one a little farther and Listen for the Whisper of Hebrews 8:12 or Hebrews 10:17 or even Isaiah 43:25.  Where God remembers your sins no more.  Turn your life over to Jesus.  Ask for forgiveness.  Repent and turn away from the sin.  God doesn’t remember what you did before that.  Your sins are washed away in baptism and remembered no more.  God doesn’t want to talk to you about what you did in 1964, or in 1970 when the Beatles broke up or about what you did in 1980 when John was murdered or what you said in 2001 when George died.  He wants to know what you’ve done since you accepted Jesus as the King of your life.  Your sins have been removed from you as far as the east is from the west (Psalm 103:12).  God’s not going to ask you questions from 50 years ago.  He remembers them no more.  And if He remembers them no more, neither should you – other than to learn from your mistakes to not repeat them.  I’ve apologized about the sweat on the leg thing…and again recently.  It’s not something I intend to do again…because I’ve learned from my mistakes.

Paul, Ringo – continually asked about the Beatles more than 40 years after the breakup.  Asked the same questions over and again by people living in the past and judging them on what they did 50 years ago.  Meanwhile, nobody can name anything Ringo’s done since then (outside of a dumb movie named Caveman and voiceover work for Thomas the Tank Engine).  And while the Beatles as a band are reported to have sold 600 million albums, Paul McCartney has sold 100 million as a solo artist.  He wants to be remembered for “Maybe I’m Amazed”.  So what song do you want to be remembered for?  How about something like “Amazing Grace”…that saved a wretch like me.  Despite all that I did to all of the people I did it to, God never gave up on me.  He’s used those times and those things in my life to make me what I am.  And here I sit today typing a devotional that is a culmination of all that I went through to get right here, right now.  I once was lost, but now I’m found.  We all can be remembered for that same thing.  God loves you.  The you that you are now.  Because the you that you are now is the only you that can say, “I’m going to do more for God today than I did yesterday!”  Don’t dwell on the past.  To take a couple of famous songs (one Disney and one Beatles) Let it go, then Let it be.  Ask Jesus for forgiveness – no one comes to the Father except through Him (John 14:6).  After that, don’t worry about what happened before.  Don’t worry about “Yesterday”, just “Let it be”…and then regardless of how long you’ve walked with God, say ”I’m going to do more for God today than I did yesterday!”

~Dwayne
ListenForTheWhisper@comcast.net
http://listenforthewhisper.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment