Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Beatles 5, The Ballad Of John And Yoko

Welcome to Part 5 of the Beatles Devotional series.  So far we’ve looked at not being labeled by things we did 20 years (or more) ago.  We’ve looked at the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the Gospel of Jesus Christ regardless of who’s preaching it.  We’ve talked about the emotional ups and downs we experience in response to the joy and the guilt with Grace.  We’ve talked about rumors and reactions and overreactions.  In this one, I’ll take a universal position on a certain someone and turn it on its ear.  This one is a challenge in looking at things with the world’s priorities or God’s priorities.

Ok – so in proofing, I decided that corny parodies are not my forte, so I deleted the Beverly Hillbillies John Lennon parody that originally was at the beginning of this one.  It was more tacky than funny, and wasn’t fully necessary.  I deleted the parody, but it’s a story that’s decades old.  “John and Yoko sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G” and all that business.  She started showing up at the recording sessions.  She was causing friction with the other members of the band.  She was never NOT there.  Every time we saw John, there was Yoko.  In the end, we all blamed her breaking up the band.  People deeply and truly can’t stand her even now, all these years later.  When they tell the story of the Beatles to their kids, the beginning of the end starts with, “and then John Lennon married Yoko Ono.”  Because John chose Yoko over the Beatles, and the world has suffered all of these years since then because of it, right?

In truth, the Beatles were fracturing and slowly splintering long before Yoko came along.  For several albums “the brilliant songwriting team of Lennon and McCartney” had simply been the “pair of brilliant songwriters, Lennon and McCartney”.  Listening to the albums, there are clear differences in both style and lyric between the Lennon songs and the McCartney songs.  On one hand you have Lennon’s “I Am The Walrus” and the other is McCartney’s “Blackbird”.  On one hand you have Lennon’s “In My Life” and on the other is McCartney’s (sure let’s beat THIS horse one more time) “Helter Skelter”.  They were becoming solo acts that happened to still record their solo material with the band.  That’s an over-exaggeration…there was still some level of collaboration, but they weren’t sitting down together like they were with “Love Me Do.”  But Yoko is an easy target.  She was the non-Beatle that had the public’s eye.  And she had the public’s eye because she was always with John and pulling him away from the band.  And my question all these years later is this:  Was that really a bad thing?

To illustrate my point, let’s flip it over the other way.  The best illustration for the opposite of Yoko always being in the sessions is the KISS song “Beth” where dudeman is on the phone with his woman, and essentially tells her this:  “Beth, I know you really want me to come home, but me and the guys are playing some music and need to get our song right, and while I’m terribly sorry, baby, and I love you very much, I’m basically picking the band over you.  So now I’m going to hang up the phone, go back to them and hope you understand where you truly rank in the grand scheme of things, baby.”

One more illustration, then I’ll wrap this all up and bring it home.  “I Love Lucy”.  You all know it.  You know the characters.  You know the situations – it’s usually Lucy either 1) wanting something or b) misunderstanding something followed by 30 minutes of the most unbelievable circumstances imaginable.  (bonus points and your next devotional is free if you caught what I just did there)  Most episodes are just absurd.  And in one particular episode Lucy thinks that everyone has forgotten her birthday (granted this isn’t her 1) wanting something or b) misunderstanding something – it’s actually a surprise party, so my apologies for generalizing).  But she thinks that everyone has forgotten her birthday, so she leaves.  Like, for real leaves…to the point of going to sleep in the park. And it’s there that she meets the “Friends of the Friendless” group.  Then Lucy decides to take her new-found friends to Ricky’s club to show him that SOMEBODY out there cared about her birthday.  At the club she finds that it’s a big surprise party, and the episode is probably most famous for Ricky’s actual singing of the “I Love Lucy and she loves me” theme song.  But before all of that exciting conclusion and resolution – using our Mr. Peabody Way-Back Machine (for the Rocky and Bullwinkle fans) we saw Lucy come into the club and one of the Friends of the Friendless asked Lucy about Ricky.  And Lucy’s response was the throw-away, quick-laugh line “He’s not my friend, he’s just my husband!”

He’s not my friend, he’s just my husband.  Ouch.  She’s not my friend, she’s just my wife.  All I can do is shake my head.  I shake my head because when that episode was filmed in 1953 that was supposed to be funny.  Today it’s becoming more and more just “how it is”.  We choose playing with the band over Beth.  We blame Yoko for having the unmitigated audacity to want to be involved with her husband.  Is that where we’ve come?  Have our marriages become so disposable that…you know what?  I’m not even going to finish that sentence.  Yeah, they have.  Is the divorce rate really 50%?  No, it’s really not.  According to the US Government recent statistics, the marriage rate is 6.8 marriages per 1,000 people.  The divorce rate is 3.6 per 1,000.  So if the divorce rate is 50%, then the rate should be 3.4.  It’s not.  It’s higher than that.  The divorce rate is actually closer to 53%.  It’s more than half because we’d rather play with the band than be with our spouse.  Because Ricky’s not really your friend, he’s just your husband.  I do need to dispel another myth nearly as popular as Yoko and the Beatles’ demise.  It’s been long said that the divorce rate among the church population is as high as the outside population.  That’s not entirely true.  It’s true when coupled with the identifier “are you a Christian” and “are you divorced’, then, yes, the rates are roughly the same.  However, when coupled with the identifier “do you attend church regularly” the rate drops to roughly 38%.  That’s still more than 1 out of 3, but it’s nice to know that some people in the church take that commitment made before God as seriously as He intended.

Sometimes it’s work.  Sometimes it’s getting married when you probably shouldn’t have.  Sometimes it’s outside people getting involved and trying to force the other spouse out of the picture.  The reasons are copious (you two dollar word of the day – in an attempt to keep this admittedly preachy devotional light), but it seems to be more and more frequent.  Husbands and wives drift apart.  To the point that “he’s not my friend, he’s just my husband” isn’t a throw-away punch line, it’s the main plot.  Men bury themselves in their hobbies to avoid dealing with it.  They go on long hunting trips, or volunteer for trips at work or monster projects requiring long office hours that keep them away from the house – because they’d rather do that – or anything else – than be at home.

And please don’t misunderstand me.  There’s nothing wrong with hunting or having a job that makes you travel and be away from home.  But when you start to notice that you’d rather be doing that than spending time with your spouse, then you need to stop and make your spouse your priority.  If you get to the point, that “home with your spouse” is the last place you want to be, then get help to fix that and fix that quickly!  There’s not a person on this planet that I’d rather be with than my wife…ever!  EVER!!  I’ve forgone promotions and job offers simply because they’d take me away from her.  I’ll admit that I’m blessed with my job.  The job I have is one that allows us to pay the bills, but by far, the best part about my job is that, in a world that requires more and more time away from home – especially in engineering, mine allows me to be home every night.  I’ve been offered jobs that would have paid me more money.  But money isn’t what I’m after.  Spending as much time as I can with my family is what I’m after.  That’s not bragging – unfortunately for her I guess (haha!) it’s the truth.  But again, I understand that it’s not that way for a lot of people.  For a lot of people, in order to provide food for their family, they have to sacrifice time with their family in order to earn it, and I’m in no way judging for that…because when you’re not home, you’re hoping with all you are to get back there as quickly as you can.  But if you’re choosing to chase money over your spouse, you’re making the wrong choice.

Listen for the Whisper of Matthew 19:4-6 where Jesus sounds a LOT more like John Lennon and Yoko Ono than He does the KISS song “Beth.”  And He answered and said, “Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.”  When Jesus says, “Let no man separate”, He’s not talking about a divorce lawyer and a family court judge.  Jesus said “no man” and that includes Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr…and each of their screaming fans.  God’s picked that person for you.  And it’s up to you and your spouse to make it work.  And yeah, just like Christianity, it’s not always going to be about you.  But it can be…the Bible says men are to love their wives like Christ loved the church.  And that was enough to die for it.  So if making her happy is your top priority, then you’ll be tickled to death to do something that you don’t want to do simply because it will make her happy.  The wife is supposed to have the same goal.  When you get to that point, you’ve gotten it.  I’m not saying that I’m there, but that’s my goal.  It’s about compromise and love, and if you love her enough then you’re willing to offer yourself to her.  Just like Jesus offered His life for you and the church.  The hard part is getting over our own selfishness long enough to do that.  The world condemns Yoko Ono.  They blame her.  They hate her.  They burn her on the stake of shame for being the one that squashed the Beatles.  Comedians make jokes (that I borrowed in my dorky Beverly Hillbillies parody) that if Mark David Chapman had aimed just a little to the left, he’d have been a national hero.

But not me.  While I think she’s definitely “an odd bird” so to speak, I stand tall and applaud their commitment to each other.  Even if their marriage DID break up the Beatles, then so be it.  Want to hear something that sounds odd?  A marriage should be bigger than the Beatles.  So I stand on the highest mountain and applaud them loud and proud for choosing each other over something as significant to world cultural history as the Beatles.  The world points at Yoko and accuses, “how dare you?”  The worlds sings, “Just a few more hours, and I’ll be right home to you.  I think I hear them calling.  Oh Beth, what can I do?  Beth, what can I do?”  And then the world wonders why you won’t sing along with it when it sings, “Beth, I know you’re lonely, and I hope you’ll be alright, ‘cause me and the boys will be playing all night.”  But you know who didn’t choose the band over his wife?  John Lennon.  No, not because she was already there, but because they valued their marriage more than anything else. 

Do you?

~Dwayne
ListenForTheWhisper@comcast.net
http://listenforthewhisper.blogspot.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment